Beware IRS Phone Scam
Have you ever gotten a call from someone claiming to be with the IRS? If you haven’t been contacted via regular mail first, then it’s probably a scam. If the caller asks you for immediate payment by phone via your credit or debit card, it’s definitely a scammer.
If this does happen to you, report it immediately to the agency that oversees the IRS, The Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration (TIGTA). You can report the incident by completing an online form on their website or by calling 800-366-4484.
TIGTA reports that since October 2013, more than 290,000 people have reported this type of fraudulent call and, to date, approximately 3,000 victims have lost money for a total of $14 million.
Click here to read “Fake IRS Phone Calls Tops List of Tax Scams” on CNNMoney.com
The following are some common pitfalls of this scam of which you should be aware:
- The caller ID number may indicate the call is from the IRS
- The caller may use your “common name” as opposed to your legal name
- The caller may claim to be an IRS agent and/or from the IRS Criminal Division
- The caller may ask you to confirm your identity by giving you the last four digits of your Social Security number
- The caller may request you pay an owed amount immediately by credit or debit card
- You may receive a follow-up call from someone claiming to be the police department or immigrant deportation office (also a fraudster)
- You may receive a follow-up email that also appears to be from the IRS, reiterating the caller’s claim
- The caller may say you have a refund due and ask for personal information to confirm your identity and/or bank account information to issue the refund
This type of scam is on the IRS’ “Dirty Dozen” list of top tax scams this year. Always be suspicious of IRS-related calls, especially one that has not been preceded by a letter in the mail — which is always the IRS’ first mode of contact.
If we can be of any assistance in helping you protect your money and assets please give us a call at 801-990-5055 or visit us at www.bossretirement.com.
Our firm assists retirees and pre-retirees in the creation of retirement strategies utilizing investment and insurance products. Advisory services offered through B.O.S.S. Retirement Advisors, a Registered Investment Advisory firm, and offered through Global Financial Private Capital, LLC, an SEC Registered Investment Advisor. Insurance products and services offered through B.O.S.S. Retirement Solutions.
This content is provided for informational purposes only. It is provided by third parties and has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, but accuracy and completeness cannot be guaranteed. The information is not intended to be used as the sole basis for financial decisions, nor should it be construed as advice designed to meet the particular needs of an individual’s situation.
Ready to Take The Next Step?
For more information about any of the products and services listed here, schedule a meeting today or register to attend a seminar.